Re: [AMBER] upgrading to AT15 (from AT14)

From: Massimiliano Porrini <m.porrini.iecb.u-bordeaux.fr>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 11:46:05 +0200

​Thanks Jason and Dave!

With the following series of commands the upgrading to AT15 worked
smoothly this time:

​*./**update_amber** --upgrade* (to be run twice)
*make uninstall*

*./configure gnumake -j 16 instal​l​*

​as for the serial installation, I am going to do the parallel one too.

By the way, I think that a message line in your script *update_amber* that
tells the
user to first uninstall amber (that is to run _make uninstall_) before
(re)configuring
and (re)installing is missing.
Or most likely it is assumed implicitly for the majority of the users,
and it was only me who did not catch it ;)

Thanks again.

PS Yes, I know that the Amber installation as root is deprecated because it
is risky,
but I can't do otherwise, as in our team it was decided to proceed this way.

On 18 August 2015 at 19:48, David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015, Jason Swails wrote:
>
> > I strongly discourage you from installing as root.
>
> I second this.
>
> > This is caused by leftover library files in
> > $AMBERHOME/lib that need to be deleted and recompiled. Try removing the
> > $AMBERHOME/lib file, reconfiguring, and recompiling.
>
> Or, what should be equally good or better: do "make uninstall", followed
> by "./configure", etc.
>
> ....dac

Dr Massimiliano Porrini
BiophyMS Team
U869 ARNA - Inserm / Bordeaux University
Institut Européen de Chimie et Biologie (IECB)
2, rue Robert Escarpit
33607 Pessac Cedex
FRANCE
Tel   : 33 (0)5 40 00 63 31