Re: [AMBER] Total interaction energy between monomeric units of a dimer

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 08:00:55 -0400

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015, anu chandra wrote:

> Do we have any utility in latest versions of Amber, which do calculations
> what 'anal' did in older versions of Amber?. In other words, is it possible
> to do group decomposition of energy in MMPBSA.py, i.e total interaction
> energy between two groups, say group A (residue 1-100) and group B (residue
> 200-250) or group A (residue 50 ) and group B (residue 200-250)?. I noticed
> that 'anal' does this sort of decomposition of total energy and I wonder
> why Amber has completely removed 'anal' from its 10th version onwards.

Neither of the two common types of Amber force-fields (i.e. non-periodic
GB/PB/RISM, or periodic simluations with PME) are pairwise decomposable.
So the kind of analysis that the "anal" program carried out (which assumed
a pairwise energy function) are no longer very useful.

There are approximate ways to carry out energy decomposition using MM-GBSA
which might serve your purposes. Others on the list know a lot more about
these options than I do.

....dac