Re: [AMBER] On the collective dynamics in terms of NMA and PCA

From: James Starlight <jmsstarlight.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 12:04:34 +0100

Hi all!

I've just copied my bellow post from another md mail-list where I've
started the same discussion:

here I've rose question regarding sensitivity of both methods in different
tasks. In case of NMA it should be based on the knowing that initial
structure is lied within the deepest minima along all its possible states
from the energy landscape => it means that we start to looking on the
softest transition pathways exactly from this point. On other hand in case
of PCA the results should be depends on full coverage of the analyzed
trajectory trajectory. So my question: It's not quite understand for me
why the directions of the first PCs (most collective modes calculated using
PCA from the covariance matrix) should be at the same time more softest
(less-energy consuming pathways) as in case of the NMA (where it's direct
consequence of the diagonalisation of the Hessian)?

Thanks for suggestions again!

James