Re: [AMBER] On the collective dynamics in terms of NMA and PCA

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:02:32 -0500

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 5:39 PM, David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015, James Starlight wrote:
> >
> > I have a question regarding collective dynamics calculations using normal
> > mode analysis and principal components analysis made in case when 1) NMA
> > was performed just based on one reference structure and 2) PCA was
> > performed for the md trajectory where each frame has been superimposed
> > against that reference structure. Eventually I've found good correlations
> > (which means that it has the same directions) in the lowest-frequency
> modes
> > from 1) and first PCs made for 2) as was obtained by means of dot
> product
> > of both eigenvectors sets. Could someone explain me briefly why such
> > correlation is exist?
>
> Both methods are finding directions of motion that have low energy
> penalties
> for movement in that direction, so it is not surprising that the results
> will
> be quite similar. To the extent that the potential energy surface is
> harmonic, the two methods are equivalent.

​This is basically the relationship between the harmonic and quasi-harmonic
approximations to solute entropy commonly employed by MM/PBSA-type
analyses, if you are familiar with those.

All the best,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher