Re: [AMBER] On the crushing of the membrane protein simulation

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 09:06:38 -0800

Hi James,

It sounds like your membrane is not initially equilibrated. The box size likely shrinks a lot when you switch to NPT - this is normal for proteins embedded in membranes due to the packing not being ideal when building the membrane.

Firstly I would switch to NPT as soon as possible - if you stick with NVT too long you may start to make vacuum bubbles which can make the density equilibration much more difficult.

Next, yes I would set skinnb higher during the initial NPT run, when you see the skinnb crash (or use the CPU code for this section of the run). Once your membrane has equilibrated you can set skinnb back to the default (just remove it from the ewald namelist). Setting it large does not affect results but will slow the simulation down quite a bit so it's best to only have it set high when you need it.

Note, you should also monitor your area per lipid and bilayer thickness to ensure that things have equilibrated. Take a look at the following tutorial for an example heating and equilibration protocol.

http://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial16/

All the best
Ross