Re: [AMBER] On the significant dG error in the MMGBSA results.dat

From: James Starlight <jmsstarlight.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 08:36:35 +0100

I've performed small test using 50ns of the production run as the input
performing 2 MMGBSA with 1)QHA and 2) NMA for enthropy calculations (below
logs):

1)Using QHA
|--------------------------------------------------------------
|&general
|startframe= 1, interval=1, keep_files=2, entropy=1,
strip_mask=:WAT:Cl-:NA+:K+:PPC, netcdf=1
|--------------------------------------------------------------

|All units are reported in kcal/mole.
|All entropy results have units kcal/mol (Temperature is 298.15 K).
ENTROPY RESULTS (QUASI-HARMONIC APPROXIMATION) CALCULATED WITH PTRAJ:
           Translational Rotational Vibrational Total
Complex: 16.9764 17.7080 4275.0995 4309.7839
Receptor: 16.9725 17.7077 4243.1059 4277.7861
Ligand: 12.1595 9.0509 41.3388 62.5492

DELTA S: -12.1556 -9.0506 -9.3452 -30.5514

Free Energy:
Differences (Complex - Receptor - Ligand):
Energy Component Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean
VDWAALS -28.1255 2.8115
 0.0385
EEL -6.9265 3.5042
 0.0480
EGB 8.9388 2.3158
 0.0317
ESURF -4.4972 0.2938
 0.0040

DELTA G gas -35.0520 4.3997
 0.0602
DELTA G solv 4.4416 2.2824
 0.0313

DELTA TOTAL -30.6104 4.0461
 0.0554

Using Quasi-harmonic Entropy Approximation: DELTA G binding = -0.0590

2)With the NMA
|--------------------------------------------------------------
|&general
|startframe= 1, interval=50, keep_files=2,
strip_mask=:WAT:Cl-:NA+:K+:PPC, netcdf=1
|/
|&gb
|igb=5, saltcon=0.150,
|/
|&nmode
|nmstartframe=1, nminterval=1, nmode_igb=1, nmode_istrng=0.15,
|/
|--------------------------------------------------------------
ENTROPY RESULTS (HARMONIC APPROXIMATION) CALCULATED WITH NMODE:

Complex:
Entropy Term Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean
Translational 16.9764 0.0000
 0.0000
Rotational 17.6664 0.0106
 0.0010
Vibrational 3228.5220 7.1795
 0.6941
Total 3263.1648 7.1841
 0.6945

Receptor:
Entropy Term Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean
Translational 16.9725 0.0000
 0.0000
Rotational 17.6648 0.0112
 0.0011
Vibrational 3212.5911 7.3649
 0.7120
Total 3247.2285 7.3697
 0.7125

Ligand:
Entropy Term Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean
Translational 12.1595 0.0000
 0.0000
Rotational 9.2911 0.0601
 0.0058
Vibrational 12.1290 0.9353
 0.0904
Total 33.5795 0.9366
 0.0905

Differences (Complex - Receptor - Ligand):
Entropy Term Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean
Translational -12.1556 0.0000
 0.0000
Rotational -9.2896 0.0604
 0.0058
Vibrational 3.8018 4.8664
 0.4705

DELTA S total= -17.6431 4.8641
 0.4702

Differences (Complex - Receptor - Ligand):
Energy Component Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean
VDWAALS -28.3625 2.7322
 0.2641
EEL -6.8004 3.3622
 0.3250
EGB 8.8860 2.1574
 0.2086
ESURF -4.5019 0.2698
 0.0261

DELTA G gas -35.1629 4.0793
 0.3944
DELTA G solv 4.3840 2.1221
 0.2052

DELTA TOTAL -30.7789 3.8018
 0.3675

Using Normal Mode Entropy Approximation: DELTA G binding = -13.1358 +/-
 6.1355

Conclusions:

In that case I've obtained true value using NMA (compared with the
experimental values) but with the significant error!. In comparison QHA
resulted in 2 times lower entropy (this time intervals for calculations
were equal to 5000 steps as the snapshots have been saved to the trajectory
during MD). Are there any possibilities to fix QHA?

James