Re: [AMBER] how to retain the MG++ coordination geometry during simulation

From: Marc van der Kamp <marcvanderkamp.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 20:33:51 +0000

Hi,
Well, I would say it is best to do without restraints. It is likely you
won't need them; if the ATP phosphate groups stay reasonably in place, then
the electrostatic interactions between Mg2+ and the negative partial
charges of the phosphate oxygens will keep them together.
But it is important to monitor what happens in the simulation.
Also, consider the Mg2+ parameters you want to use; you may want to
consider the more recent Mg2+ VdW parameters from Allner et al. (see below).

If you find the Mg2+ doesn't stay in place (even with the updated
parameters), you could consider distance restraints, but this is certainly
not ideal.

Good luck,
Marc
Olof Allnér, Lennart Nilsson, and Alessandra Villa
*J. Chem. Theory Comput.* *2012* 8:1493-1502
*Magnesium Ion-Water Coordination and Exchange in Biomolecular Simulations*