Re: [AMBER] Different PCA results when loading trajectories in a different order

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 08:36:50 -0700

Hi,

So if I understand you correctly, when using 2 topologies you see the
issue, but with 1 topology the issue goes away? If so then this is
probably a bug - I'll start looking into it immediately. Thanks for
the report. Let me know if I missed anything.

-Dan

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 2:58 AM, Guillaume Roellinger <roellinger.bio.mx> wrote:
> [...]
>
> When loading just one topology (conf1.prmtop or conf2.prmtop) also with covar, I get the exact same result for the eigenvalue in both cases:
> '798.22756', '70.64851', '45.25603', '27.81210', '16.52141'
>
> I duplicated conf1.prmtop and renamed it in conf2.prmtop and once again I get two different results when the order of the trajin commands is changed (exactly the same results as described at the beginning of this message).
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> G.R.
> Betreff: Re: [AMBER] Different PCA results when loading trajectories in a different order
>
> PS - Also, if this is the same protein but different conformations you
> should only need 1 topology (in fact if this is the case then
> conf1.prmtop and conf2.prmtop should only differ by their VERSION
> line). The only time you need a different topology file for two
> trajectories is if the atoms/residues do not match between the two
> (such as your PDB that only contains CA atoms).
>
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Out of curiosity do you see the same thing happen if you use
>> non-mass-weighted covariance matrices (i.e. covar instead of mwcovar)?
>> Note that typically in PCA just plain covariance matrices are used.
>> Mass-weighted covariance matrices are really only required if you want
>> to perform quasi-harmonic analysis.
>>
>> -Dan
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Guillaume Roellinger
>> <roellinger.bio.mx> wrote:
>>> Dear Amber users,
>>>
>>> Using cpptraj, I am trying to analyze two 10ns MDs in one principal component analysis (PCA). Both MDs are closely related to each other: it is the same protein but in two different conformations (conf1 and conf2) with same number of residues. I was interested to include the structures of each conformations just after equilibration as reference structures for the PCA. I autoimaged and removed water and ions from my trajectories and reference structures and generated the corresponding stripped topologies conf1.prmtop, conf2.prmtop for each conformation. Before calculating the mass-weighted matrix, I aligned all frames to an average structure generated from both trajectories (createAverageStructure_cpptraj file).
>>>
>>> The problem is that I get two very different results in my evecs file when switching the loading order between the reference structures and trajectories and I have no idea why.
>>> By loading the reference structure first (PCA_cpptraj_1), I get the following 5 first eigenvalues:
>>> 3.57670
>>> 5.85045
>>> 7.69400
>>> 8.09997
>>> ...(and so on, increasing linearly)
>>>
>>> And by loading the MD trajectories first (PCA_cpptraj_2):
>>> 26.45372
>>> 2640022.22255
>>> 2642822.92226
>>> 2769903.48459