Re: [AMBER] AmberTools 14 compilation on OSX fails

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 07:18:20 -0400

On Thu, 2014-05-15 at 08:42 +0300, Fabian Glaser wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I tried to follow carefully the instruction in the wikidot link you
> sent me, macport and xcode and Xquartz and most packages needed were
> installed correctly but there are still errors....
>
> But there is something that appears again and again regarding
> llvm-3.1, which apparently is not compatible with mavericks.... and
> therefore I cannot install for example gcc47:

Have you done a "sudo port selfupdate" recently?

> >sudo port install gcc47
> ---> Computing dependencies for llvm-3.1
> ---> Fetching distfiles for llvm-3.1
> Error: llvm-3.1 is not supported on Mavericks or later.
> Error: org.macports.fetch for port llvm-3.1 returned: unsupported platform

It sounds like you recently upgraded from an older Mac OS X (10.8,
maybe?) to OS X 10.9, but kept your MacPorts installation around. As
the error message says, llvm-3.1 is not supported on OS X 10.9.x, so you
need to get MacPorts to use llvm-3.3 to satisfy the llvm requirements
instead.

You can follow some of the advice here:
http://docs.gz.ro/macports-llvm33.html if it makes sense to you. You
can also uninstall MacPorts
(http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html) and then reinstall it (along with all of the ports). This is the approach I took when I upgraded my machine from OS X 10.8 to OS X 10.9.

If MacPorts is set up correctly, you should not run into this problem.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher