Re: [AMBER] hexagonal unit cell for membrane simulation with NAMD

From: Pawel <pawelrc.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:41:59 -0500

Hi Thomas,

1. I don't know how vmd is calculating those vectors (you could ask on
VMD mailing list), but note that angles of alpha, beta, gamma = 90 90
120 (what you have in your inpcrd) and 90 90 60 (what vmd molinfo
command gives) are compatible with each other, but this is not the same
as 60 90 90, which is the error on the webpage you reference (hopefully
soon to be corrected).

2. IFBOX=3 specifies a general triclinic system

3. I think part of the confusion lies in the fact that a hexagonal box,
an orthorombic box, etc are all special cases of a triclinic cell. So
simulating, for example, a box with angles 90 90 90 will yield the same
force/gradient calculations whether you tell your MD program that this
is a triclinic cell or you specify that it is orthorombic. As far as I
know, the only difference would be in simplifying some of the
calculations and how the system is imaged. The point is: if your box
vectors and angles are consistent with the system you want to have, d d
h 90 90 120 for a hexagonal space tasselation, then you are good.

4. To check if your system is set up correctly one thing you can do is
convert your inpcrd file to a pdb (use ambpdb) and add a CRYST1 pdb
format record. Then in vmd you can use the periodic tab in the
Graphics->Representations window to generate periodic boundy copies of
your system: if all space is neatly tasselated, you are good.

5. Also check density and energy during your simulation: if the box is
too small, for the coordinates you provide, periodic images will
generate steric clashes and energy will shoot up. If the box is too big,
you will have empty space in your system and density will drop down.

6.About your images: is that the same system? Why are there empty spaces
there between hexagonal shaped boxes? Again, the unit cell should look
like a triclinic cell and it is only the tasselation in space of those
unit cells that will create a hexagonal "look". (see attached images)

Pawel