Re: [AMBER] update Ambertools 12 to 13 fails

From: Robert Wohlhueter <bobwohlhueter.earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 11:46:44 -0400

Thanks, Jason,

Your point on installing as root is well taken: a bad habit left over
from the days when I was the greatest threat to systemsoftware.

It's clearly a web-access problem, which is to say mine, not yours. Even
with longer time-outs, it's still hit-and-miss, with many stalls, some
eternal. Granted, my dsl connection is always a little flakey after long
rains in Atlanta. But I'm puzzled that even when the update script
tells me "cannot connect to http://ambermd.org", with Firefox, on the
same machine and at roughly the same time, I can connect perfectly well.
Why would wget (or whatever mechanism the patch-amber.py script uses)
fail, when Firefox hasn't a problem?

Well, that's a rhetorical question to which I don't oblige you to
answer. (But you might know of some clever tests to diagnosis the
situation, please let me know.)

In many case, I'll keep fiddling, maybe just move the installation to a
better internet connection.

Bob Wohlhueter