Re: [AMBER-Developers] [AMBER] Compilation errors for AmberTools 13 with OpenMP

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 13:18:21 -0700

In principal if the queuing system is setup correctly then it should
automatically set OMP_NUM_THREADS to the correct value and any openmp code
should obey that. This should also work with MPI in that if the user asked
for 8 tasks and 1 task per core then they would be running with 8 MPI
threads and OMP_NUM_THREADS would get set to 1. Most queuing systems know
the difference between sockets, cpus and cores these days (although a lot
still get confused over hyperthreads) and so it should in principle just
work.

Of course this is not true on desktop machines or systems without queues
where the user will need to set OMP_NUM_THREADS themselves.

All the best
Ross