Re: [AMBER] paramfit questions

From: Robin Betz <rbetz.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 16:53:02 -0700

Hi Cody,

For the second part of your question, you're right that the input
conformation won't necessarily have the equilibrium values for lengths and
angles. However, you provide several input structures to paramfit, and the
goal is that the force field parameters generated by the program will be
robust enough to provide accurate energies for positions that are not at
the exact equilibrium.

You may get better results if you give paramfit input structures and QM
energies that have been optimized with the desired dihedral fixed,
especially if there are steric clashes when you force rotation about the
dihedral. However, this is not necessary for the program's function, as
paramfit calculates the MM energy of each input structure with the input
parameters, and adjusts the parameters so that the MM energy matches the QM
energy. The idea is that over a set of structures the resulting adjustments
will produce a maximally correct set of parameters no matter how the
molecule is positioned.

The parameter K is to account for the fact that in simulations forces (the
gradient of the energy) are used rather than energies. K is a constant term
that disappears when taking the gradient, but is necessary to add in to
make the energies fit to zero.
I hope this makes more sense- let me know if it doesn't.

Robin Betz