Re: [AMBER] on the usage of Antechamber for the ligand parametrisation

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 12:12:23 +0200

Dear James,

> I want to perform list of full atomic simulation of protein-ligand
> complexes in Gromacs using Amber99sb force field and ligand parametrized by
> means of antechamber (acpype).
>
> 1- From antechamber tutorials I've found that GAFF is used for such ligand
> parametrization. What cut-offs for electrostatics as well as vdw should I
> use for the modelling of protein-ligand complexes ? (assuming that I've
> used 1.0 cutoffs with such systems without ligands)

'cutoffs of 1.0' seems quite small - what about using the default value?
I am sure you can find discussions in the Amber mailing list archive
about cutoff values...

> 2- How I can assign charges more carefully ?

More carefully than 'what'? Antechamber handles various models of
atomic charges; RESP, ESP?, AM1-BCC, Mulliken?

You might be interested in using the R.E.D. tools and/or R.E.D. Server
to derive RESP or ESP (i.e. molecular electrostatic based) charge
values...

> Could you provide me with
> some example of such charges assignment based on different chemical
> compounds?

The 'building block' approach developed in the R.E.D. tools and/or
R.E.D. Server has been specially designed for deriving charge values
for a set of molecules belonging to a family of molecules with common
and variable parts.

Let's take an example of 10 molecules with the R1 common part and the
S1-S10 variable parts:
   R1-S1
   R1-S2
   R1-S10

Using R.E.D. one can derive charge values for these 10 molecules by
defining 11 elementary building blocks:

   R1-x y-S1 (x & y are the connecting groups)
   R1-x y-S2
   R1-x y-S10

By defining specific charge constraints for the x and y connecting
groups one can generate the R1 and S1-S10 molecular fragments that are
combined into the 10 wanted/target molecules:

   R1 + S1 ---> R1-S1
   R1 + S2 ---> R1-S2
   R1 + S10 ---> R1-S10

In this approach the conformation(s) of the R1-x and y-S1/10 building
blocks is/are fully controlled, the geometry optimization step is
often far shorter and the charges for the R1 group are empirically
defined and are common in the R1-S1/R1-S10 molecules...

regards, Francois