Re: [AMBER] AMBER 4.1 Manual

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:02:52 -0500

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013, Romelia Salomon wrote:

> I hope the manual appears somewhere, but the files are really helping so
> far :)

See the attached file.

Historical note: The Amber 4.1 manual was written in troff, using the
"me" macro set. As best I can tell, users were given the source files
(e.g., prep.me, link.me) and a Makefile for creating postscript versions,
either of the individual chapters or the entire manual.

It is comforting that typing "make book.ps" still works, creating a
complete typset manual in less than a second, from sources created in 1995
(but executables from a modern Linux release). I converted book.ps to
amber4.1_manual.pdf to make things more useful in the current century.

Another historical note: In spite of it's "dot-release" name, Amber 4.1 was a
major upgrade from version 4.0. Relevant to the current discussion, it was
the first version that had anything resembling a "manual", as opposed to a
loose collection of text files. Even so, it's pretty crude: there is a table
of contents, but no index or bibliography.

....dac