[AMBER] Quick initial impressions of PNY water cooled GTX 580 and some numbers for the usual GPU benchmarks

From: Gould, Ian R <i.gould.imperial.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:15:36 +0000

Dear All,

Thought I'd share my initial impressions and benchmarks for the water cooled PNY GTX 580. This is the fastest 580 out there currently.

  1. It is easy to build as it's a closed system on delivery, so you do not have to do anything with hoses/liquids/pumps etc
  2. You need a big case, but that's par for the course, make sure that the rear has at least one 120mm exhaust fan that you can substitute with the one with the radiator and card
  3. How fast well here are the PME numbers for JAC and Factor IX, cann't do cellulase as it's only a 1.5Gb job
     * JAC NVE 54.57 ns/day
     * JAC NPT 43.85 ns/day
     * FAC IX NVE 16.81 ns/day
     * FAC IX NPT 12.85 ns/day
  4. So if someone like me can build one, in a morning, and get it to work first time don't be afraid to try yourself.

Cheers
Ian

Women love us for our defects. If we have enough of them, they will forgive us everything, even our intellects.
Oscar Wilde,
--
Dr Ian R Gould
Reader in Computational Chemical Biology