Re: [AMBER] Instantaneous temperature in TI simulation

From: Brian Radak <radak004.umn.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:05:47 -0400

Unfortunately that is exactly what I *don't* want to do. The bonded terms
with the proton are necessary at the end point where it is completely out of
the QM region, although I suppose an appropriate extrapolation scheme from a
lambda value "very close" to that endpoint could be sufficient. I'm
essentially trying to implement the "dual topology single coordinate" method
from Qiang Cui's group:

Li, *et al.* J Phys Chem B 2003, 107, 8643.

Couldn't that solution also be implemented by creating a suitable prmtop, or
would that also encounter the degrees of freedom problem?

Brian

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Qiantao Wang <qiantao.wang.gmail.com>wrote:

> I guess why we didn't see difference in kinetic energy is prabobaly
> because the energy was being synchronized in TI simulation. However,
> the temprature in output used the synchronized energy, but different
> degrees of freedom, thus we saw different temparture in two output. So
> I think it's parabobaly worth a while to making sure we have correct
> degrees of freedom in such simulations.
>
> What I am doing is, whenever the QM/MM boundary cross a QM-MM(H)
> hydrogen bond (and when qmshake=0, i.e. no shake applied to the QM
> region), we remove all the connectivities between the H atom and other
> bonded QM atoms, making it a free particle.
>
> Best,
> Qiantao
>
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM, case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 23, 2011, Brian Radak wrote:
> >>
> >> Does this difference in degrees of freedom have any bearing on the
> dynamics
> >> or is it just a quirk of the output?
> >
> > I would have thought that the thermostat would have been affected, and
> hence
> > the velocities on two sides. But if that happened, the kinetic energies
> would
> > not be equal, and very quickly the coordinates and potential energies
> would
> > not match. Since that is not happening, it looks like just a quirk in
> the
> > output.
> >
> > I must say that having an O-H bond cross the QM/MM boundary sounds very
> odd.
> > We certainly never looked at anything like this when developing or
> testing the
> > code. Let's see how Qiantao's fix works out.
> >
> > ...dac

================================ Current Address =======================
 Brian Radak                                             :     BioMaPS
Institute for Quantitative Biology
 PhD candidate - York Research Group       :     Rutgers, The State
University of New Jersey
 University of Minnesota - Twin Cities         :     Wright-Rieman Hall 101
 Graduate Program in Chemical Physics     :     610 Taylor Road,
 Department of Chemistry                          :     Piscataway, NJ
08854-8066
 radak004.umn.edu                                 :
radakb.biomaps.rutgers.edu