Re: [AMBER] rst or mdcrd file to view the structures?

From: Bill Ross <ross.cgl.ucsf.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:24:03 -0700

> To start with, how big a box of water would it take to hold your
> molecule in its extended shape?
>
> I set the water TIP3PBOX 12.0 and explicit solvent. Is it what you asked me
> about? And when I visualize it in VMD, the water still scattered around the
> protein (md11_water.png attached). Please correct me if i am wrong.

Is that box big enough for your protein in its denatured state?
The ideal would be a box sized for the fully-extended state in
all dimensions.

> What is your simulation rate for
> problems of this size?
>
> I ran short minimization for the homology model, then heat it up (from 0K to
> 400K) in 50ps to unfold the protein, and followed by a long MD in 300K to
> re-fold it (expected in 100ns), but it is running still 60 ns. The protein
> is 158 aa size.

I was referring to your ns/day rate. E.g. if the rate of folding requires
orders of magnitude more simulated time than you have grant money for,
or career for that matter, it may not be a project that you want.

Bill