Re: [AMBER] about Glycam_06g.dat and thiol-glycosidic linkage

From: Matthew Tessier <matthew.tessier.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:41:30 -0400

Yun,

>> But which MM force field should I use for this MD simulation?

I'm not sure what you're asking here because you're using the GLYCAM force
field to generate the ensemble averaged charges. The initial charges you
should use will come from a QM optimized model of a methyl-reducing
monosaccharide with the thiol-linkage. See:
M. Basma, S. Sundara, D. Calgan, T. Varnali, R.J. Woods. 2001. Solvated
ensemble averaging in the calculation of partial atomic charges. J. Comput.
Chem. 22: 1125-1137.

>> With a lack of experimental data, does that make sense to compare the
>> minimized structure of the test molecule in solvent with the force field
>> parameters we are developing, with the QM optimized structure in vacuum?

I think you're asking if comparing the QM properties to the solution MD is a
good comparison. The answer is no. GLYCAM is parameterized to reproduce
solution properties which is one reason we use ensemble averaged charges.
Additionally, the glycosidic rotation profiles can be different in solution.
If no experimental data is available for your system then you should find a
similar thiol-linked model that has experimental data (J-couplings, NOEs,
etc) to validate against.