Re: [AMBER] trouble compiling AmberTools 1.5

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 14:38:07 -0400

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Jennifer L. Muzyka <
jennifer.muzyka.centre.edu> wrote:

> 'm having trouble compiling AmberTools 1.5 on an Intel Mac running OS
> 10.6.8. I'm following the instructions provided at
> http://amberonmac.blogspot.com/. I have installed XCode 4 (not the latest
> version) and MacPorts 2. I've tried it with gcc44, gcc45, and even gcc43.
> I get essentially the same error messages with every different gcc4x. I've
> tried some of the suggestions I found on the Amber Archive and none of them
> really change the error message. I would appreciate any advice or
> suggestions you can offer. Thanks.
> Jennifer
>
> (These messages are what I see with gcc44, since I understand that's the
> preferred version.)
> c28613:src jennifer.muzyka$ ./configure -macAccelerate gnu
>
> Obtaining the gnu suite version:
> gcc -v
> The version is 4.2.1

This is the XCode version of the compilers. You should use MacPorts to
build gcc44, gcc45, or gcc46, and then use port select to activate one of
those versions as the primary compiler version. For example:

sudo port install gcc44
sudo port select gcc mp-gcc44

(you can use gcc45 instead if you want). Then, make sure that
/opt/local/bin is in your PATH before /usr/bin. You can test this via:

>$ which gcc
> /opt/local/bin/gcc

>$ which gfortran
> /opt/local/bin/gfortran

If you get /usr/bin/gcc instead of /opt/local/bin/gcc above, you have a
problem with your PATH definition, and you should add

export PATH=/opt/local/bin\:$PATH

at the end of your ~/.bashrc file. By default, the MacPorts installation
should add that line at the end of your ~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile file,
so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you.

HTH,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate