Re: [AMBER] system extended beyond the virtual box

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 20:42:27 -0700

Hi Qian,

I assume you are running a gas phase or implicit solvent simulation here
rather than a periodic one yes?

What has happened is that your system is drifting, likely due to it having a
net center of mass translational motion. Unchecked this would ultimately
overflow the output files so needs to be addressed. The simplest approach is
to set nscm=1000 to periodically remove center of mass motion. This should
hopefully stop your system drifting away from the starting point.

Of course is you have modified the potential in some way and your gradients
are incorrect then your system will no longer preserve angular momentum or
linear momentum therefore you will have all sorts of problems. You do not
specify exactly what you mean by coarse grain simulation, which method,
force field etc so it is hard to know if anything was modified. I would
begin by setting nscm=1000 and see if this helps.

Good luck,

Ross