Re: [AMBER] Regarding MTK++ MCPB tutorials on Small and Large Models of ZN Metalloprotein

From: Martin Peters <martin.b.peters.me.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:40:28 +0100

Hi Naveen,

On 20 Apr 2011, at 20:55, Naveen Samala wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please help me in understanding the followings things in
> MTKpp_0.2.0.pdf document.
>
> 1. In Side Chain Model, the oxygen atoms from Aspartic and Glutamic
> Residues bonded to metal ion 'Zn' are given non-standard type. Other atoms
> like oxygen from OH (MOH) and atoms from Histidine residues are also bonded
> to Zn metal ion but not given non-standard type. I would like to know why
> the other atoms are not set to non standard type, if they are also bonded to
> metal ion.
>
> copyAtomType parm94/O2 NAME/OA
> setAtomType NAME/AS1/.OD1 NAME/OA
> setAtomType NAME/AS1/.OD2 NAME/OA

Usually it is best to have all bonded atoms set to non standard types and so in theory
you could have a system with multiple metal systems. But it is not compulsory.
These types are used to define bond and angle parameters.

> 2. In Side Chain Model, how to know what value to be set for torsion while
> adding Methyl terminating groups?
>
> addFragment terminal/CH3 bd /NAME/CLR/HD1-1/.CB. ag /NAME/CLR/HD1-1/.CG. tr
> /NAME/CLR/HD1-1/.ND1 87.0

Unfortunately this part of the approach requires a little user input. You could measure the torsion
between the ND-CG-CB-CA and use that value.

> 3. In Large Model, what does the below code mean? (This line is not seen in
> Side Chain Model)
>
> setMaxFileID /NAME/CLR/ /NAME/1

This sets the id of the first atom of /NAME/CLR to the max id of /NAME/1 + 1. This is from the design of
MTK++ where there is only one collection, see docs for more details.

> 4. In Gaussian Options for Large Model, what value should be set for
> Merz-Kollman Radii in case of Iron Metal?
>
> setMKRadii zn 1.1

Good question! You might have to search the literature a bit here, sorry I don't have the answer close at hand.

Regards,

Martin.