Re: [AMBER] Compare simulations done with AMBER9 to ones done with AMBER11 Cuda?

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:56:26 -0700

Hi Antje,

Just to add some more to Jason's possibly over cautious email. There should
be no problem with you comparing results between AMBER 9 and AMBER 11 (CPU
or GPU) as long as you are running the same simulation parameters. As Jason
said though individual trajectories will diverge. You can even prove this to
yourself by running a simulation with AMBER 9, stopping it and getting the
restart file and then running the 'restarted' simulation twice, once in
serial and once in parallel and you will see things start to diverge.
Neither is 'wrong' though, it is just rounding differences that cause things
to take different paths through phase space. The same will happen with AMBER
11 however you should be perfectly fine to interchange amber 9 , amber 11
CPU and amber 11 GPU within a single run. Just be aware that ultimately you
need to run your simulations long enough that your results converge. This is
irrespective of what version of the code you are using.

All the best
Ross