Re: [AMBER] Compare simulations done with AMBER9 to ones done with AMBER11 Cuda?

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:37:36 -0700

If you run for long enough (i.e. any amount of time worth writing a paper
about ;)), then the results will diverge due to the chaotic nature of
many-body systems and the limits of machine precision. Thus, the only
things you can directly compare are ensemble properties averaged over an
entire simulation.

My suggestion would be to re-run some of the simulations you ran with Amber9
with Amber11 CUDA and check that you get the same ensemble results. This
should be a good indication that you can safely move throughout the two.

Hope this helps,
Jason

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:45 AM, Antje Wolf <antje.wolf.scai.fraunhofer.de>wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I did some simulations with AMBER9. I would like to do an additional
> simulation with different conditions. As I am running out of time with my
> study, I would like to use AMBER11 CUDA. Now I have some doubts if I can
> compare the results later on. What are your experiences with comparing
> results obtained with different AMBER versions?
>
> Your opinion is highly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Antje
>
> --
> Antje Wolf
>
> Fraunhofer-Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing (SCAI)
> Department Bioinformatics
> Schloss Birlinghoven
> D-53754 Sankt Augustin
>
> Tel.: +49 2241 14 2552