Re: [AMBER] Compiling Ambertools 1.4 on MacBook SnowLeopard10.6.3

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:45:17 -0500

How did you install gcc? Did you install it from MacPorts?

The error you're getting is related to the fact that Mac OS X 10.6 has a
horrid kind of mixed-architecture that is just wreaking havoc on all sorts
of compiled code.

MacPorts, however, has for the most part figured it out. My suggestion is
to install gcc44 from MacPorts along with gcc_select and then set about
installing AmberTools. Assuming you've extracted AmberTools-1.4 into
/Users/siti/amber11, execute the following commands:

sudo port -v install gcc44
sudo port -v install gcc_select
sudo gcc_select mp-gcc44

cd ~/amber11
export AMBERHOME=`pwd`
cd AmberTools/src
./configure -macAccelerate gnu
make serial

(Don't forget to apply the bug fixes first).

Hope this helps,
Jason

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Siti Mohamad <siti.zuraidahmz.gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Amber,
> I'm installing Amber 11 on MacOS 10.6.3. I have installed gcc compiler, the
> latest XCode developer tools, and Macports. When make install, it stopped
> with following error:
>
> cd ../lib && make sys2.a
>
> make[2]: `sys2.a' is up to date.
>
> gfortran -o ambpdb ambpdb.o forFIRSTtype.o forFIRSTbond.o forFIRSThbond.o
> forFIRSTteth.o forFIRSToutp.o forFIRSTsugar.o ../lib/sys2.a
>
> ld: warning: in ambpdb.o, *file was built for i386 which is not the
> architecture being linked (x86_64)*
>
> ld: warning: in forFIRSTtype.o, file was built for i386 which is not the
> architecture being linked (x86_64)
>
> ld: warning: in forFIRSTbond.o, file was built for i386 which is not the
> architecture being linked (x86_64)
>
> ld: warning: in forFIRSThbond.o, file was built for i386 which is not the
> architecture being linked (x86_64)
>
> ld: warning: in forFIRSTteth.o, file was built for i386 which is not the
> architecture being linked (x86_64)
>
> ld: warning: in forFIRSToutp.o, file was built for i386 which is not the
> architecture being linked (x86_64)
>
> ld: warning: in forFIRSTsugar.o, file was built for i386 which is not the
> architecture being linked (x86_64)
>
> Undefined symbols:
>
> "_main", referenced from:
>
> start in crt1.10.5.o