Re: [AMBER] can't make proper use of IGB flag, it cause "input conversion error"

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 07:16:48 -0400

I'm much more worried by what you are trying to do than the error messages
you are getting. combining GB with an explicitly solvated system is, in my
opinion, a bad idea unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I'm not sure what you mean by some of your statements.
why "out of necessity"? for a large system, GB is probably much slower per
step than using PBC and PME. by using GB and explicit water, you are getting
the inaccuracy and slowness of GB along with the viscoty of explicit water-
the worst features of both and probably no benefit. I emphatically recommend
against this.

when you say that you tested igb=1 and "it's OK", what tests did you run? we
have shown in published work that igb=1 combined with explicit water
performs very badly- the problem is that the solvation energy of the
explicit water in igb=1 is very far from correct. once again, I recommend
against this, and if I reviewed a manuscript that used this combination I
would probably recommend against publication.

so although you might be able to get these inputs to work, my advice is to
think about whether this really gives you a benefit, and do some careful
comparisons. this would not mean short MD showing that the system doesn't
fall apart, but something that relly tests the accuracy. also do timing
comparisons to make sure that this is actually faster than the methods
nearly everyone else uses (its hard to imagine that it would be, since you
should not be using a cutoff with GB and that will be very slow).