Re: [AMBER] nmr order parameter and autocorrelation

From: Samuel Genheden <samuel.genheden.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 06:59:53 +0200

Hi

I did not even remember that I had this problem, or how I solved it.
But I can show you how I do the analysis.

For iRED:
trajin ../mdcrd_prod_gas
vector v2 :2.N ired :2.H
vector v3 :3.N ired :3.H
vector v4 :4.N ired :4.H
vector v6 :6.N ired :6.H
vector v7 :7.N ired :7.H
vector v8 :8.N ired :8.H
... (and so on for the other vectors, I have 128 of them)
matrix ired name matired order 2
analyze matrix matired vecs 128 out ired.vec

Then I get the eigenvectors and eigenvalues in the ired.vec file.
These you will need you in order the calculate the order parameters.
As you see, you do not have to remove the overall tumbling with RMS
fit, this will be taken care of when you not using the 5 largest
eigenvalues in the calculation of the order parameters. I have only
got this to work with Amber10, with Amber9 the analysis do not give me
all of the eigenvectors. Be aware of this, that you really obtain all
the vectors you are specifying.
I attach a python script that could be used to calculate the order
parameters from the ired.vec file. Just type: python mat2s2.py
ired.vec . No warranties, though.

For auto-correlation:

trajin ../mdcrd_prod_gas
rms first out rmsd.txt ".C,CA,N"
vector v2 :2.N corr :2.H
analyze timecorr vec1 v2 vec2 v2 tstep 1.0 tcorr 3500.0 out Ct/v2.out
vector v3 :3.N corr :3.H
analyze timecorr vec1 v3 vec2 v3 tstep 1.0 tcorr 3500.0 out Ct/v3.out
vector v4 :4.N corr :4.H
analyze timecorr vec1 v4 vec2 v4 tstep 1.0 tcorr 3500.0 out Ct/v4.out
vector v6 :6.N corr :6.H
analyze timecorr vec1 v6 vec2 v6 tstep 1.0 tcorr 3500.0 out Ct/v6.out
… (and so on for the other vectors)

Here you will get an auto-correlation file for each of the bond
vectors v2, v3 etc. I have also fitted the structures to the first
snapshot to remove overall tumbling. The trajectory is 35 ns long,
which is why have I choose to calculate the correlation function up to
3.5 ns (3500 ps). Due to statistical uncertainties in the tail of the
correlation function I never feel safe to calculate it more than up to
1/10 of the simulation length. From the auto-correlation functions
(ACF) I calculate the order parameters by fitting the ACF to either a
single or double exponential, and the order parameter is taken to be
the plateau value. This is where the trouble of convergence come in.
If the ACF is not converged there is no plateau and you cannot use fit
a proper exponential to your ACF. I have seen some people to take the
order parameters as an average over the last X values of the ACF. I
think that is a good check for comparing with the exponential fit. If
the two do not match, the ACF have not converged.

I seems to me that you have mixed up the commands a little bit, or I'm
not sure what you are trying to do. I think new practitioners (and I
know I would have) benefit from a tutorial on these matters, because
as David Case pointed out, the manual is not clear at all.

I have not tried the new relaxation option that David Case mentioned.
It would be interesting to look at, but again to calculate any
correlation function is a non-trivial, and you must make sure that you
have a sufficiently long simulation.

Best regards,
Samuel

I think you