RE: AMBER: solvent box again

From: iccy liu <hbliu92.hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:41:41 +0000

Hi, Dr. Walker,

Thank you very much for your input. I tried followed your suggestion to relax my solvent box with NPT restarting from my previous NVT md simulations. However strange things happened. My output file is empty and cpu is running. I wonder did you ever meet this kind problem? Here is the detail of my procedure:

I build a box (roughly a 24A cube) with my solvent molecule (EMAC24A_new.pdb). I only have my solvent molecules in my PDB. My purpose is to relax it to get a nice cube relaxed solvent box. I definetely don't need any other solvent from AMBER.

I use tleap command:
source leaprc.ff03
source leaprc.gaff

loadamberprep emi.prepin
loadamberparams emi.frcmod
loadamberprep ACETATE.prepin
loadamberparams ACETATE.frcmod

emacbox = loadpdb EMAC24A_new.pdb

setBox emacbox vdw

saveamberparm emacbox emacbox_new.prmtop emacbox_new.inpcrd
to create topology file and input coordinate

Later I run min and heat in NVT ensemble to relax the system, here is my last heat4.inp
--------------------------------
 &cntrl
  imin=0, irest=1, ntx=5,
  nstlim=10000, dt=0.001,
  ntc=2, ntf=2,
  ntt=1, tautp=1.0,
  tempi=100.0, temp0=300.0,
  ntpr=50, ntwx=50,
  ntb=0, igb=0,
  cut=20.
 /
---------------------------------
after running sander with command:
sander -O -i heat4.inp -o heat4.out -c heat3.rst \
                    -p emacbox_new.prmtop \
                    -r heat4.rst -x heat4.mdcrd
I obtained heat4.rst file.

I restart my simulation to run npt_relax.inp
-------------
relax at Constant Pressure at 300K
 &cntrl
  imin=0, irest=1, ntx=7,
  nstlim=100000, dt=0.001,
  ntb=2, PRES0=1.0, ntp=1, taup=2.0,
  ntc=2, ntf=2,
  tempi=300.0, temp0=300.0,
  ntt=3, gamma_ln = 1.0,
  ntpr=50, ntwx=50,
  cut=8.
 /
with command:
sander -O -i npt_relax.inp -o test.out -c heat4.rst \

                    -p emacbox_new.prmtop \

I met a problem now. My test.out file is empty but sander is still runing on my machine. what could be the problem? In fact, I met similars problems when I restart from NVT restart file to run NPT calculations for other systems.

I also tried to run a similar npt_relax.inp reading from my original emacbox_new.inpcrd, The program seems to be OK.

Could you please help me with that?

Thanks a lot for your kindness.

Iccy