Re: AMBER: help me for filling a nanotube with water??

From: Thomas Steinbrecher <steinbrt.scripps.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:40:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jaber,

leap is able to fill cavities in your molecule as well as pack a solvent
buffer around them. If you just try

solvatebox <nanotube> TIP3PBOX 12

in leap, you will see the interior filled with water molecules as well as
a water box around the tube. Even if leap puts to many or to few waters in
there, the number should equilibrate pretty quickly if the tube is
open-ended.

My first guess is that the Amber force field should not be particularly
good or bad for a nanotube (you might have to build a frcmod file that
specifically describes bonding in a nanotube, though) since it is a
structure that shouldn't do much in an MD simulation anyway. The critical
question might be what kind of question about nanotubes do you plan to
adress by doing an MD simulation of it?

Kind Regards,

Thomas

Dr. Thomas Steinbrecher