Re: AMBER: Query about the charge of atoms in the parmtop file

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:09:45 -0400

I would also think carefully about whether GLYCAM06 is compatible with ff03-
certainly they do not use the same charge model. You should be ok if you can
find papers that have validated the combination and show eg that Hbonds between
the 2 param sets are similar to those internally. Maybe not a major issue, but
it's kind of like mixing charmm and amber parameters together- who knows
what you will get? One should not assume. in my opinion, that all
"Amber" force
fields are the same and therefore can be mixed and matched. Keep a careful
eye on things like the charge model. My feeling is that simulations using
DNA, RNA, or other force fields using the 6-31G*/HF charge derivation procedure
should be kept with protein sets that do the same. I recommend ff99SB, but
with full disclore I have to say that I'm biased because that is from my lab.
However, the reason we made that force field was to have a good parameter
set that still had the same charge model as all of the non-protein
param sets that
people have developed over the years.
carlos