RE: AMBER: about RMSD per residue

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:40:42 -0700

Hi,

I didn't have time to read the paper hence I just assumed what you wanted was RMSD vs time for each residue. I have no idea what is meant here by "rmsd vs residue number". RMSD for an MD simulation is a function of time and yet your statement has no time variable in it. You probably need to read the paper carefully and see exactly what they mean - perhaps even contact the authors to find out what they did.

To get a single number of RMSD vs residue then the options I assume would be:

MAX(RMSD per residue vs time)

MEAN(RMSD per residue vs time)

MIN(RMSD per residue vs time) - This would only be meaningful if applying to some reference structure

FINAL(RMSD per residue vs time)

All of these you could ultimately get from the data that would be produced from the ptraj script I suggested. It is then a simple matter to reorganize this data to say give you say MAX(RMSD per residue vs time) vs residue number. E.g. just cat the files together before importing them into whatever graphing package you want to use. Or instruct that package to load all the files for you.

This is just basic statistical manipulation of data.

You will need to think more carefully about what data it is you actually want.

All the best

Ross