Re: AMBER: Force fields for REMD with GB solvent

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 18:03:31 -0400

we recently posted a detailed tutorial for REMD in amber10,
you might want to look at that.

you are right that the GB models introduce helical bias,
much more so with HCT than OBC, which is more reasonable.
however, we also showed that igb-7 (neck GB) is probably biased
slightly against all secondary structures. as of now there is no "perfect"
choice, and igb of 5 or 7 (with the appropriate radii) is probably
the best choice. if the results depend strongly on the GB model between
these two, then there is likely not a strong conformational preference
anyway. ff99 is not good, I recommend ff99SB.
also keep on the watch for ion pairing, particularly with Arg,
which is also a known issue with many, if not most GB models.
keep in mind that simulations in explicit solvent may well take hundreds
of nanoseconds to converge, so differences between your results and
the explicit solvent MD need to be done only in the context of
well defined precision limits for data from the difference solvent models.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:24 PM, <guardiani.fi.infn.it> wrote:
> Dear Amber experts,
>
> I am currently performing REMD simulations in implicit solvent of
> a peptide whose coordinates were taken from a larger protein.
> My goal is to determine the equilibrium structure of the free
> peptide in physiologic conditions. The peptide is first minimized
> according to:
>
> Minimization
> &cntrl
> imin = 1,
> maxcyc = 500,
> ncyc = 250,
> ntb = 0,
> igb = 1,
> gbsa = 1,
> saltcon = 0.2,
> cut = 300.0,
> ntpr = 10,
> ntx = 1,
> /
>
> The minimized structure is then cloned into 12 replicas (12 corresponds
> to the square root of the number of atoms in my peptide). The target
> temperatures of the replicas are chosen in geometric progression and
> are: 310, 332, 355, 380, 406, 435, 465, 498, 533, 570, 610, 652.
> Each replica is heated from 0 K to the corresponding target temperature
> in this way:
>
> Equilibration
> &cntrl
> imin = 0,
> cut = 24.0,
> igb = 1,
> gbsa = 1,
> saltcon = 0.2,
> nstlim = 500000,
> dt = 0.001,
> ntt = 3, gamma_ln = 1.0,
> tempi = 0.0, temp0 = 310.0,
> ntx = 1, irest = 0, ntb = 0,
> nscm = 50,
> ntpr = 100, ntwr = 100, ntwx = 100
> /
>

> I then perform 2.5 ns of REMD simulation that will be discarded in the
> computation of energies and other properties of interest. The input
> file for this part of the simulation is like this:
>
> MD run
> &cntrl
> imin = 0,
> cut = 24.0,
> igb = 1,
> gbsa = 1,
> saltcon = 0.2,
> nstlim = 2500,
> numexchg = 800,
> dt = 0.001,
> ntt = 3, gamma_ln = 1.0,
> tempi = 310.0, temp0 = 310.0,
> ntx = 5, irest = 1, ntb = 0,
> nscm = 50,
> repcrd = 0,
> ntpr = 500, ntwr = 500, ntwx = 500
> /
>

> After that I perform other 30 ns of simulation through 3 restarts with
> input files of this kind:
>

> MD run
> &cntrl
> imin = 0,
> cut = 24.0,
> igb = 1,
> gbsa = 1,
> saltcon = 0.2,
> [...]

Carlos L. Simmerling, Ph.D.
Associate Professor Phone: (631) 632-1336
Center for Structural Biology Fax: (631) 632-1555
CMM Bldg, Room G80
Stony Brook University E-mail: carlos.simmerling.gmail.com
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5115 Web: http://comp.chem.sunysb.edu