AMBER: Problem with running refinement of NMR structures with RDCs

From: Qi Zhang <qizhang.mbi.ucla.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:20:21 -0700

Dear Amber users,

I am trying to refine NMR structures using Amber7 with experimental
data, and I had a problem when I included RDCs as restraints. The
Amber refinement ran well with just NOEs, however, when I included
RDCs, the program kept running for hours without exporting any
results, kind of looping within the program.

The last part from the output file reads like,

4. RESULTS
eedmeth=5: Using 1/r dielectric
Local SIZE OF NONBOND LIST = 433233
Total SIZE OF NONBOND LIST = 433233

I have also compiled Amber7 in a recent purchased computer in the lab,
and the refinement ran through without any problem with both NOE and
RDCs as restraints. I am wonder is there any specific hardware
requirement in order to run Amber refinement with RDCs? The computer
that has this problem has the following setting:

Machine type: x86
OS name: Linux
OS release: 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp
CPU speed: 2.4MHz