AMBER: Simulated Annealing - Start with Poor Structure

From: Seth Lilavivat <sethl.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 15:28:54 -0400

Dear Amber Community,

Simulated annealing: many of you have commented that a poor initial structure
can be the cause of many problems. However, I noticed that several papers
document that they started with extremely irregular random structures by
performing high temperature MD (as high as 4000K), unrestrained. I am following
this protocol of running a short MD run at high temp to create a random starting
structure. My algorithm is capable of producing a low energy structure that
satisfies all of the restraints but it doesn't always converge. My question is
this: when is it appropriate to start with a structure that you believe to be
close to the final structure and when do you start with a random "disordered"
structure?

Thanks,
Seth