RE: AMBER: New problem on our 64bit box: xleap Segmentation fault

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:29:13 -0800

Chances are xleap is not 64 bit clean - you are welcome to try and fix it
but I don't recommend it.

It works on PURE 64 bit machines like Itaniums as all integers and pointers
are 64 bit but the new Xeons are a hybrid 64 / 32 bit system and so you are
probably compiling most of the code as 32 bit but linking against 64 bit
libraries - a bad idea. Just stick to pure 32 bit on these machines unless
you have any real reason for needing 64 bit integers.

Ideally you should try and get hold of the 32bit versions of the X11
libraries - an RPM should be available. Install these in /usr/X11R6/lib and
then compile leap and link it against these libraries and not the 64 bit
ones. Alternatively you could try compiling leap on a pure 32 bit machine as
static and then copying the executables over to your machine.

All the best
Ross

/\
\/
|\oss Walker

| Department of Molecular Biology TPC15 |
| The Scripps Research Institute |
| Tel:- +1 858 784 8889 | EMail:- ross.rosswalker.co.uk |
| http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/ | PGP Key available on request |