Re: AMBER: Optimizing a structure and the interpretation of it

From: Kazuo Koyano <koyano.fsis.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:14:25 +0900

Dear Ilyas Yildirim;

 As a crystallographer, I should like answer to your question briefly as
possible as I could.
First, a molecular crystal to which most organic molecules belong, is formed
by a weak force as Van der Waals.
Imagine the crystallization process. Now a days, an isolated small molecule
taken from a crystal on CCD database has a precise structure as it is. So as
you say, it is generally not necessary to optimize the structure, but in
vacuum or rotated about a bond for examples, optimization would be
necessary.
 Second, X-ray are scattered by electrons of atoms. For a large molecule
like protein, it is very hard to detect hydrogen that has only one electron
even if strong X-ray as radiation light is used. Then, adding hydrogens to a
protein from PDB Databank, the got structure has to be optimized.
 I hope and believe strongly that molecular dynamics would simulate not only
a simple cubic cell but also a general crystal lattice cell as a periodic
boundary condition, that is crystal structure itself in the near future.
good luck

Kazuo Koyano

Center for Collaborative Research, The University of Tokyo
4-6-1, Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8904, JAPAN
E-mail koyano.fsis.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp