Re: AMBER: PMEMD scaling

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:24:11 -0400

Lubos -
On the quadrics interconnect on the terrascale computer at PSC
(alphaservers, 4 cpu's per node, I believe) pmemd scales well out to about
128 processors (50% efficiency - off the top of my head, so don't hold me to
exact numbers). If your quadrics h/w is equivalent, you will probably do
around this well. Scaling is a balance between interconnect speed and cpu
speed. As the cpu's get faster, they increase the demand on the
interconnect, so with faster cpu's, you MAY not scale as well, but you will
get good throughput at the point where scaling starts dropping off. Vendors
tend to not build balanced systems with good interconnect speed because it
is cheaper to get better cpu speeds, and the bulk of the marketplace is
satisfied with faster cpu's. Also, scaling is better on larger problems
(more atoms) due to basic geometry considerations (cutoff radius vs. size of
the chunk of atoms any given processor owns).
Regards - Bob