Re: AMBER: installing amber8 on a dual processor single box

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 13:58:35 -0500

Carsten -
Thanks for posting the summary. Three points:
1) The intel compiler referenced here probably needs at least redhat 7.3,
since 7.2 is glibc 2.2.4.
2) When installing mpich, it would be best to use the ch_shmem device only
if you are not going to use multiple boxes, connected with something like
gigabit ethernet; the most versatile driver overall is the ch_p4 device,
which will handle smp's and ethernet-connected boxes.
3) I strongly recommend that if you have anything from redhat 8.0 onward,
you be sure that it is "up2date", with the latest kernel and libraries
available for that release. This will hopefully help you avoid some of the
potential nightmares with threads code.
Regards - Bob