Re: AMBER6 on Alphas40 (fwd)

From: Jarrod Smith <jsmith_at_structbio.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Mon 30 Apr 2001 11:11:34 -0500

"Sanjeev B.S." wrote:

> Hello,
> I am attaching some unbelievable results to this mail. These are
> for benchmark results of amber6/test/dhfr/mdout on Alpha - ES 40. Each
of
> the four processors take much more time than a single linux 700Hz
> processor! Also slight change in numbers too. Also I have attaced the
> MACHINE file I used and the logfile. I just cannot believe these results!
> Can anyone let me know how I can increase the efficiency please?

I think it should make you feel better to know that there is something very
wrong here. This is more than a factor of 10 slower than a 100 step dhfr
calc should be on a 667MHz ES40 in 4-way smp. From what you sent, I don't
see what the problem is, though.

Is it possible that something else was running on the machine when you made
this measurement?

--
Jarrod A. Smith
Research Asst. Professor, Biochemistry