RE: terminal base pair opening

From: Guanglei Cui <cuigl_at_ilion.bio.sunysb.edu>
Date: Mon 2 Apr 2001 09:27:19 -0400

Hi,
    The terminal base pair opening isn't very frequent in explicit solvent
dynamics. However, I've see far more often opening of this type is implicit
solvent dynamics (Generalized Born). In explicit solvent dynamics, the
opening I've seen only involved the first terminal base pair. In GB, the
opening goes much deeper. The second one can be affected. In short time, the
opened base pairs can reform. So can the opened ones in explicit solvent
dynamics. I guess if the structure you are interested is not likely being
affected by the opening, it may be fairly safe not to use distance
restraints. This's just based on my experience.

Guanglei Cui
Dept. of Chemistry
SUNY at Stony Brook
Stony Brook, NY 11790