RE: EWALD BOMB

From: Ross Walker <r.c.walker_at_ic.ac.uk>
Date: Thu 15 Feb 2001 23:10:02 -0000

Hi,

Strangely enough I have come across this error in our group recently. I have
seen it happen a few times due to poor parameterisation, however, we have
also seen it recently for a perfectly good trajectory.

I have finally managed to track it down to a dodgy dimm - out of 1 Gb of
memory we had a single bit that was sticking at 1 occasionally and this was
enough to cause random ewald bombs. This was discovered after about a month
of pulling our hair out. Hence you may want to check your memory at the
same time as your parameters. Do you get very random unexplained crashes of
the machine occasionally? - This is also what were observing as well as the
ewald bombs.

Hope this helps

/\
\/
|\oss Walker

| Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine |
| Department of Chemistry | Theoretical Division |
| Tel:- +44 207 59(45851) / +44 7958 970896 |
| EMail:- r.c.walker_at_ic.ac.uk |
| PGP Key available on request |

Please note:
The above message is not necessarily the views of the author, Imperial
College or The Department of Chemistry. The author of this message accepts
no responsibility for any offence caused. If this message is forwarded to
anyone not on the original contact list then the responsibility lies solely
with the person forwarding the email and not with the author.