Re: [AMBER] questions about AmberTools installation from source

From: Damas Joao CHST via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:27:10 +0000

It took me a while to come back to this issue, but I thought it’s still worth it to write to the mailing list.

Thank you for all the tips on update_amber and the references to the documentation. I found out my system was not getting the updates because it was missing the GNU patch package.

Reading all that part of the documentation made me understand that if one would like to control more what gets installed at a particular point in time (select the version and patch number for a particular module), one should use `update_amber --update-to=AmberTools.PATCH_NUMBER` before compilation, and then disable the automatic updates application during cmake. On that note, when wanting to do that, I looked at cmake/AmberUpdater.cmake, and setting up `-DAPPLY_UPDATES=FALSE` for cmake does not do what I expect it to do, i.e., not apply updates. In fact, I have to setup APPLY_UPDATES to true for it to not apply them, which is confusing from the variable name but matches what the code does if I’m reading it correctly. Unless I’m again missing something 😊

About my Anaconda/Miniconda question, I was able to change my setup to not use it. I did follow point 3 of section 2.2.5 of the manual, but the suggested packages in the manual were not enough, so I am currently using what is installed on cmake/UseMiniconda.cmake as reference, which basically is:

f90nml
pandas
numpy
scipy