Re: [AMBER] AmberTools23 changes antechamber behavior for GAFF2

From: Junmei Wang via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:53:29 -0400

Dear John and Amber Users,

For the gaff and gaff2 force fields, I recommend using the latest versions
if possible, which should give you better results. For gaff2, the RESP
charge calculated using HF/6-31G* ESP is preferred, but you can still use
am1bcc for a large set of molecules.

gaff has the same atom type definitions for all the versions, in the later
versions of gaff2, c5/c6 atom types have been introduced. However, parmchk2
applies a special mechanism allowing a user to correctly assign force field
parameters even if there is a mismatch on the atom type definition and
force field parameter file. For example, there is c5 or c6 defined in one
molecule, but c5 and c6 do not show up in the early version of gaff2, all
the parameters involved by c5/c6 will be replaced with the ones of c3, as
c3 is the corresponding atom type of c5/c6.

We do not recommend using the old versions of force field parameters, but
if you want to make comparison, you still can assign atom types using
antechamber (-at gaff for gaff or -at gaff2 for gaff2), and then generate
correct frcmod file with an older version of gaff or gaff2 by using -p
argument.

But, it is a common mistake if the atom type definition is gaff, but the
force field parameter file is for gaff2, or vice versa. Please make sure to
use "-at gaff" running antechamber and "-s 1" running parmchk2, or "-at
gaff2" running antechamber and "-s 2" running parmchk2.

All the best,

Junmei