Re: [AMBER] Help needed with thermodynamic integration: Collision of cations in binding energy calculation

From: Kevin Mei via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 03:28:57 +0000

Hi He,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I believe the crux of the problem lies in how AMBER handles non-bonded interactions between two different softcore (SC) regions. This topic is somewhat ambiguous in the AMBER manual.

I understand that the collision issue only arises when lambda is close to 0 or 1, which means that one SC fragment has minimal interaction with non-SC atoms, allowing it to diffuse freely throughout the system. However, for some reason, the electric repulsive force between two SC regions is even smaller than the van der Waals force, causing the two fragments to collide.

I am unsure if this is a bug or not, but in my opinion, it should be clarified in the AMBER manual how the interactions between two different SC regions are scaled with lambda.

Best,
Kevin