Re: [AMBER] installation windows.h no file found

From: Ryan Woltz via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 23:56:11 -0800

On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 7:09 PM David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2022, Ryan Woltz via AMBER wrote:
> >

> >- force ubuntu to use xorg (not the new default which doesn't allow screen
> >sharing). This seem to solve amber failure to install with GUI.
>
> Alternative is to add -DBUILD_GUI=FALSE to the run_cmake script. Do you
> know you are going to need xleap? We may make this the default in future
> releases...comments welcome.
>
> Thank you for this and no real comments, If I use GUI=false I still end at
the same error or windows.h. This was just an interesting note as
ubuntu 22.04 has defaulted into using wayland instead of xorg. This caused
many problems in zoom and remote meetings as I no longer should share
screen and resorted to specific windows for lab meetings. Very frustrating.
But I went into the root and changed some things (I forget where) to create
a xorg login, which fixed everything. I don't need GUI at this moment as I
use vmd and amber for MD running, but there may come "wayland" ubuntu
questions coming your way as it seems very common.
https://lizenshakya.medium.com/screen-share-not-working-in-ubuntu-fixed-1b81741a07c1.
This did seem to fail after a couple updates to 22.04 so it might not seem
an issue with the fresh install as you mentioned later.

> >-changed the header of file
>
> >amber22_src/build/CMakeFiles/miniconda/download/Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh
> >from #!/bin/sh -> #!/bin/bash
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
> >the file fails if it is run in sh script.
> >
> >Any suggestions on how to get past this windows.h missing file?
>
> This doesn't look like an error to me. The script is looking to see if
> Windows.h is present, so a (non-fatal) error should be expected:
>
> >Determining if the include file Windows.h exists failed with the following
> >output:
> >fatal error: Windows.h: No such file or directory
> > 1 | #include <Windows.h>
> > | ^~~~~~~~~~~
> >compilation terminated.
>
> I think the actual reason things stopped is for some other reason(?).
> Can you try re-running, and/or post the complete cmake.log and (perhaps)
> other error logs?

Please see attached. I'm happy to include more info but at this point I'm
not sure what to include.

> ....thanks for the input. But, FWIW, I've used Ubuntu 22.04 without seeing
> any of the behavior that you report. I tend to use Intel's python
> distribution, rather than relying on miniconda, so I may have missed that
> problem. But xleap works fine for me, without making any changes.
> Not sure what the difference is, although I had a fresh install and not an
> upgrade -- maybe that is key.

Very interesting, can you link any protocol for the intel's python method?
I just remember passing an OS/compiler flag in amber18, are you suggesting
to pass -DMAKE_COMPILER=INTEL or something similar while building?

Thank you as always for being so rapid with your responses Dr. Case.