Re: [AMBER] Simulation of ssDNA folding

From: Jiaan Zhu via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 22:19:33 +0000

Hi Thomas,

Thanks a lot for your information and advice! As you suggested, I tried to simulate an existing GNRA hairpin structure 5’-GCGAAAGC-3’ (https://www.rcsb.org/structure/2K71). In a 1μs trajectory, the RMSD to the first frame is finally around 3Å and almost all hydrogen bond between G and C are stable during simulation, as shown below(every 100 steps 1 frame).
Then I build a relaxed 5’-GCGAAAGC-3’ sequence in tleap and simulate it in the same workflow, the ssDNA quickly form a compact structure in 500ns simulation(end to end distance from 30Å to 5Å) but not normal GC hydrogen bonds. It seems an oxygen atom in phosphate group of 3’C forms hydrogen bonds with 5’G as shown below. Could it because of sampling issue?

I’m using the simulation setup from Oweida et. al ’s paper https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.jctc.0c00931 . This setup has good agreement with experiment for 30nt PolyT sequence.

I noticed in Shaw’s paper it mentioned Amber-bsc1 had a greater tendency to collapse for Long Single-Stranded DNA Molecules but they didn’t test Amber-bsc1 for DNA hairpins. Although their DES-Amber seems work for a similar 5’-GCGAAGC-3’ DNA hairpin...

Best regards,
Jiaan