Re: [AMBER] RMSD of residues within 3A of ligand

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:30:24 -0500

Hi,

>From the Amber/Cpptraj manual:
```
Distance-based Masks
There are two very important things to keep in mind when using
distance based masks:
1. Distance-based masks that update each frame are currently only
supported by the mask action.
2. Selection by distance for everything but the mask action requires
defining a reference frame with reference;
distances are then calculated using the specified reference frame
only. This reference frame can be changed
using the activeref command.
```
The problem with distance-based masks for most commands is that the
number of atoms selected each frame can change, which requires setting
everything up for the new selection which can get expensive. It's
particularly difficult for something like RMSD where the # of atoms
selected in the reference and target need to match in order for the
RMSD to be meaningful. You could script it so that you loop over every
input frame in the trajectory and try to change the active reference
accordingly, but again if you select different #s of atoms in the
target and reference you can't calculate the RMSD anyway.

TL;DR unfortunately, there's no easy way to do what you want.

-Dan