Re: [AMBER] A bug in phishi Amber20?

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 08:20:15 -0500

Hi,

I think I understand what's going on here. The 'range360' keyword for
'multidihedral' (as you probably know) just adds 180 to the original
torsion (which ranges from -180 to 180). However, when the average is
calculated by the 'phipsi' analysis, the following formula is used
(since it easily incorporates periodicity):

AvgTorsion = ArcTangent( SUM[sin(theta)], SUM[cos(theta)] )

The range of the ArcTangent() function is -180 to 180, so no matter
what the original values are, that's the range of the values after
averaging. I suppose I could add a 'range360' keyword to the 'phipsi'
analysis. If you think that would be useful add the issue here:
https://github.com/Amber-MD/cpptraj/issues.

In the meantime, you could convert the values from 'phipsi' manually
if you want (i.e. if theta > 180 subtract -180, if theta < 0 add 180).
Hope this helps,

-Dan