Re: [AMBER] question of Amber calculate RMSF

From: Dr. Anselm Horn <anselm.horn.fau.de>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 22:57:58 +0100

Xiaodong,

since you omit any mask in your rms fit commands, which means that all
atoms are used:
Are you sure that your trajectory just comprises the pure protein and
not any waters or ions? In that case imaging maybe yielded a sort of
different system and thus the rms-fit of all atoms
(protein+ions+solvent) resulted in a different overall structure: re-try
with an explicit atom mask for the two rms fit commands using the same
mask as in your atomicfluct command.
(Stripping water molecules *prior* to imaging via "strip :WAT" may
result in a much quicker execution time of cpptraj, since you do not
need the solvent for your analysis.)

Does this solve your problem?

Otherwise:
Is your protein composed of just a single chain or of multiple chains,
and did you run your simulation with iwrap = 1?

If you have multiple chains, it may be that the image command resulted
in something different than you expected. Did you check the imaged
trajectory visually?
Try printing out the rmsd values: Are there any immediate big jumps in
the graph signalling a (re)imaging problem?

If your protein trajectory just contains a single chain, no water, no
ions, and no other residues like ligands, then the behaviour you
describe seems strange (to me): imaging should produce just a
translated/rotated geometry for a covalent system, which you then fit
via the rms command again to the first structure, calculate the average
and then the fluctuations with respect to the average.

Regards,

Anselm

Bioinformatik | NHR.FAU
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU)
Germany