Re: [AMBER] Help with carbohydrate nomenclature

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 06:07:55 -0400

Hi, and thanks for the reply!

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 10:34 PM Hector A. Baldoni <hbaldoni.unsl.edu.ar> wrote:

> Dear Professor Roe,
>
> Your explanation seemed complicated to me, even more so you first take
> as a reference carbon (C5) for one example (GCU) and then carbon (C4)
> for the others (XYS and XYP).

I'm taking the definitions from sources like "Nomenclature of
Carbohydrates", Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry (1997), 16:8,
1191-1280 (https://doi.org/10.1080/07328309708005748), although it is
highly likely I'm either misreading or misinterpreting some of the
nomenclature.

> A more direct and simple way to determine the type of anomer is the
> following: Orient or draw the carbohydrates in the C4/1 form (ie C4 up
> and C1 down), then the alpha anomers will have the anomeric oxygen
> axial, and the beta anomers will have the equatorial anomeric oxygen
> equatorial.

I'll give this a try, thanks! Ultimately I'm hoping that I can also
figure out what's going wrong with my interpretation of the
definitions of the various atoms found in that Journal of Carbohydrate
chemistry article.

-Dan